• Admin

COLTS MATCH REPORT: Veseyans 17 - 22 Bromsgrove

Following the end of the festive season, Veseyans Colts welcomed Bromsgrove back to Streetly for part 2 of our double header. Veseyans had a well rested squad of 21 players and were looking forward to the physicality the visitors would bring.

The game started with both teams dominating in defence and nulling each other out until the visitors got some territory deep in Veseyans 22 and reverted to their very strong pick and go game. This eventually broke the home sides resolve and with a little over 10 minutes gone found themselves 0-7 behind. However, unlike previous games Veseyans immediately took the game straight back to Bromsgrove and for the next 15 minutes we’re camped in the visitors half. Even when possession was lost the pressure in defence was excellent and they could not exit with their traditional pick and go game which allowed us to put maximum pressure on their kicking game. It took the visitors until the stroke of half time to get any real front foot ball which resulted in a breakaway score and 0-12 on the scoreboard, but still an

excellent half from Veseyans.

The second half started where the first had ended and a superb kick chase resulted in the visitors stuck in their own 22. A couple of charge downs later resulted in a penalty to the home side who went quickly allowing Marcus Osbourne to score in the corner, 7-12 and game on. Then, straight from the restart the captain, Max Powell, went a good 60M to score our second try and for the first time this season the Colts led a game, 14-12. With belief growing and using the full strength of our squad we continued to apply pressure and a penalty 5 minutes later put us 17-12 in front. However, the Bromsgrove side proved their resilience and following a series of penalties conceded by the home side went over in the corner and drew the game 17-17. With just over 10 minutes to go we had a cliff hanger of a game in progress and a real possibility of our first win of the season.

Bromsgrove sensed the opportunity also and with their powerful direct running game caused us to conceded penalty after penalty until the referrers patience was broken and the once again impressive Nick Ward was banished to the sin bin. The visitors took advantage of the extra man and an unconverted try in the corner edged them 17-22 ahead. Veseyans showed their real quality and spent the last 5 mins in the visitors half and with tap and go’s from several penalties were unable to find that final score and elusive first win of the season. There were several outstanding performances but none were greater than that of the whole squad. One to 21 everyman gave their all and played their part in an outstanding performance. If we maintain the attitude, commitment and determination we showed in this match, then it will not be long before we have that first victory on the board.....well done everyone and Happy New Year.

  • White Facebook Icon
  • White Twitter Icon