Veseyans 1st XV vs Tamworth XV

22nd November 2014

A fairly mild Saturday afternoon in late November saw Veseyans host Tamworth.
With a shaky start to the season, and an in house points total to attain, a win
from Veseyans was essential. A physical Tamworth turned up to the hosts
Veseyans with fire in their eyes as they were also hunting for a much needed
win. A crisp 14:15 start saw a feisty start from both teams with the Veseyans line
chase smashing Tamworth’s receiver off the first kick off.

The first 20 minutes saw some crisp hands from Veseyans backline and solid
execution as Brunsden dived over the line after cruising past the Tamworth
winger. Ending the first quarter with strong forward work up the midfield and
again great finishing prowess Brunsden crossed the line to score another.

Leading into the half time whistle, Veseyans enthusiasm demonstrated in the
first 30 began to flatten, and a bunch of miscellaneous tackles and lazy support
play saw numerous penalties given Tamworth’s way. This however did not prove
costly for Veseyans as another try by winger Gillick put away by centre Hipkiss
was scored.

Going into the second half it was clear that Tamworth were hungry for points,
putting pressure on Veseyans with a strong kick chase. This was however dealt
with composure by blindside flanker Gurbs with a solid catch and set for
Veseyans to exit the half. Strong carries and great line out ball from hooker
Tandy at the start of the second half saw Veseyans managing to make their way
up the field for a third Brunsden try. This momentum carried through further as
shortly after Hipkiss crossed the line after impressive hands from fullback Green
and good decision making from fly-half Clark.

All game Tamworth had been quick to the breakdown and this would prove
costly for Veseyans as midway into the second half back row Booth was given a
yellow card for ruck infringement. On the back of this Tamworth were running
hard and looked dangerous. However, Veseyans centres Hipkiss and Perrins
alongside blindside Gurbs managed the defence excellently and Veseyans looked
strong round the breakdown with good low shots from the forward pack.

Tragedy would once again strike Veseyans as 2 minutes after the first sin bin
hooker Tandy was sent off the field for 10 minutes with another ruck
infringement. To add insult to injury almost directly after this fly-half Clark was
part of a two man tackle on a Tamworth forward that led to an arm injury that
would cause him to have to leave the field. This allowed replacement Irvine to
step in.

In the final 15 minutes of the game Irvine’s kicking prowess out of hand was
evident as Veseyans were pinning back a still sturdy and physical Tamworth.
With frustrations high in the Tamworth ranks, numerous penalties were given
Veseyans way and the replacement fly-half kicked solidly into the corners.

Tamworth managed to hold out a still firing Veseyans pack until the last minute
of the game where youngster second row Ward barrelled over the line off a
quickly tapped penalty by scrum half Slattery.

A well fought victory for Veseyans against a solid Tamworth.