V’s entered the last week of the season with the hopes of securing 8th place in the league, a win over mid table rivals Camphill would have seen them over take Shrewsbury however despite pushing Camp Hill close it wasn’t to be.


V’s started strongly winning a number of penalties which allowed them to push deep into Camp Hills half one of which was well converted by fullback Tom Greenwood to give the V’s a well deserved lead. Despite growing pressure and 4 lineouts inside the opposition 22 the home side managed to stand firm. This lead to frustration in the V’s ranks resulting in a yellow card for hooker Dan Lock. Down to 14 men Camp Hill piled on the pressure scoring a well worked driving maul following a long kick to touch by Camp Hills fly half. Much of Camp Hill’s possession was gifted to them by V’s lack of discipline at the break down, penalty after penalty went against the away side and time after time the ball was drilled into Vesey territory.


In open play V’s looked dangerous when going wide and on a number of occasions broke the defensive line however the final pass let the side down as it has done through the season. Camp Hill had a game plan to kick long and the V’s back three were peppered with high kicks which they fielded well and looked dangerous when countering. Matt Gillick lead the way with the kick returns and just before half time made a jinking run down the left hand side beating half of the opposite defence before offloading just 10 metres out, the ball was sent wide however with the try line in site the ball was passed forward and another chance went begging. The home side made this lack of execution pay and again after a long kick from the Camp Hill 10 the ball was back in V’s 22 and the big Camp Hill pack managed to again maul the ball over for an unconverted try.


Vesey started the second half much better and scored a well worked backs try in the corner which was excellently converted by Tom Greenwood. V’s played much the better rugby however the extra size in the opposition pack proved the difference and the bigger camphill size again scored a well worked close range effort. As the game wore on the home side began to flag and the V’s turned up the pace, Tom Greenwood broke from his own 22 before chipping over the last defender this was chased by winger Gillick who tackled the Camp Hill full back over the try line leading to a V’s scrum on the opposition 5m line. V’s won their own scrum and went wide but the home defence was resolute, after a few joyless phases a wayward pass was intercepted and the home side broke the length of the pitch to score the final try of the game.